I have been spending countless hours in conversations about politics and the direction our country is going in. One thing that seems to be continuing to pop up in these conversations is the questions “What can I do?” I have spent a lot of time thinking about this and have assembled 10 things you can do to help during this critical time in our country:
1. Trust the Almighty Creator who has endowed upon each man his/her inalienable rights
2. Spend time with your family. Take your kids out to the park. Buy your spouse some flowers. Just be with them. Enjoy them.
3. Get out of debt. I know this sounds weird but I think our government reflects its constituency by and large. Sometimes it does not feel that way but if you really examine the issues closely you will see it is true in many ways. That being said if we are to expect our Federal Government to stop deficit spending and to eliminate our National debt we must get our personal finances in line. Irresponsible consumer spending certainly contributed to the current mess we are in.
4. Read some good books. Expand your understanding of what our government is about. I suggest John Locke two treatises of government, Thomas Payne’s Common Sense, The US Constitution, Mark Levin’s Liberty and Tyranny, Orwell’s 1984 and Animal Farm (Orwell was a socialist), and Huxley’s Brave New World. This would be a good start.
5. Be courageous. If you feel that someone is trying to bully you stand up for your belief’s in a calm and intelligent way. Common sense goes a long way. Remember that the US Constitution has propelled America into the most powerful nation on earth in 200 short years.
6. Email/Write your state and federal representatives. http://www.votesmart.org is a great way to find out how to contact them and to even get information on how they have voted in the past.
7. Call your representatives. I think this is important for a couple of reasons, one being that it allows you to articulate what you think. This can be therapeutic. The other reason is that it helps you develop the ability to have conversations about politics.
8. After key votes are taken follow up with an email or phone call letting your representatives know how you feel about the way they voted. This immediate feedback lets your ELECTED official know that his/her constituents are in tune with what is going on.
9. Become a member of a conservative cause such as The Heritage Foundation, your local Tea Party, the912project.com, or even just visit some conservative blogs like Black and Right.
So there you are. 10 solid actions you can take during this time and for the rest of your life. I too feel frustrated and I have not been consistent with pursuing all 10 of these actions but I am trying harder now than ever. I suggest that if you are failing at items 1 and 2 you will have difficulty being effective with items 3-10. John Locke had a huge influence on our Constitution. If were to eliminate the idea of God and His relationship with man you might as well use all of Locke’s books as fire kindling. Please let me know what you think.