I, David William Hedrick, a member of the silent majority, decided that I was not going to be silent anymore. So, I let U.S. Congressman Brian Baird have it. I was one questioner out of 38, that was called at random from an audience that started at 3,000 earlier in the evening. Not expecting to be called on, I quickly scratched what I wanted to say on a borrowed piece of paper and with a pen that I borrowed from someone else in the audience minutes before I spoke. So much for the planned talking points of the right wing conspiracy.
August 20, 2009
This was posted by my friend Tonya and I am passing it on.
“The Perfect Solution to Senior Health Care: While discussing the upcoming Universal Health Care Program with my sister-in-law the other day, I think we have found the solution. I am sure you have heard the ideas that if you ‘re a senior you need to suck it up and give up the idea that you need any health care. A new hip? Unheard of. We simply can’t afford to take care of you anymore. You don’t need any medications for your high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, etc. Let’s take care of the young people. After all, they will be ruling the world very soon. So here is the solution. When you turn 70, you get a gun and 4 bullets.. You are allowed to shoot 2 senators and 2 representatives. Of course, you will be sent to prison where you will get 3 meals a day, a roof over your head and all the health care you need! New teeth, great! Need glasses, no problem. New hip, knee, kidney, lung, heart? Well bring it on. And who will be paying for all of this. The same government that just told you that you are too old for health care. And, since you are a prisoner, you don’t have to pay any income tax. I really think we have found a Perfect Solution! I can’t take credit for this. It came to me in email. Unknown Author.”
Begin the comments by Esther Petersen:
I am in no way saying you actually SHOULD shoot anyone. What I am saying is that is SAD beyond belief that prisoners get better care than the government wants the rest of us to have. The exception to that, of course, is those self-same Senators and Congressmen who DO get the benefit of GREAT healthcare on THEIR very own little plan. Hmmm, the legislators and the prisoners get great healthcare. Maybe they are more alike than we all realize?
This is a funny yet sadly true commentary concerning the current mentality in this country. How pathetic is it that we are even worried about the state of healthcare for our seniors? Why should they be the FIRST to feel the chopping block effects of reduced service? We are talking about the generation the fought WW2 and rebuilt the world. We are talking about the generation who worked hard, without the “benefits” of all the social programs produced by the New Deal, provided for themselves and their families. Why are we so intent on undermining their value now? Let me tell you what a “Government run option” is like for seniors.
My Grandfather fought in WW2. He was one of those brave men who put his life on the line for the freedoms of this country and he witnessed horrific things because of that. He came home a damaged man, but there were no safety nets in the medical community to deal with the psychological damage that soldiers like him suffered so he, and his family, had to deal with it on their own. It was hard on all of them. Then there reached a time where we in the family began to grow concerned about his mental and physical health due to the ravages of age. Well, one day, the neighbor called my uncle because Granddaddy was crawling on his hands and knees across a busy road to check his mail. When my Uncle got there, Granddaddy was insistent that he was avoiding the German snipers hiding in the non-existent trees behind his house just waiting to kill him. Guess what happened when my Dad and Uncles tried to get him admitted into the VA nursing home out of all our great concern for the health of both he and our Grandmother? He was turned away because he was not in bad enough shape. That is correct. The man was crawling across a busy street because he thought he was back on a battle field in WW2, but he was not bad enough to make use of the services he EARNED by fighting for this country. Instead, his country was far more concerned with providing the welfare checks and food stamps to the single mom who refused to act responsibly for her sexuality. Instead the government was more concerned with building airports and bridges for tiny communities out in the middle of no where because they were represented by powerful Senators who love pork. Instead the government was far more interested in studying the habits of migratory animals. The government thought things like a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were more important than funding the VA. The government thought that pumping money into Fannie and Freddie was better than carrying for the Veterans of this country. THAT is what the GOVERNMENT does to things like healthcare. They “level” the playing field to the point that the RESPONSIBLE people of society not only pay the actual tab through tax dollars, they also “pay” the price by having to get in line behind those who DO NOT live a responsible life. This is egregious and it is time for the American constituency to stand up and say “We are done, we have had enough”. Whether it be a Democrat or a Republican making these types of decisions is not the point. The point is that we as the citizens MUST take responsibility for this country and we MUST start voting out these people who spend our money like it is coming from a bottomless pit. The responsible people of this country are being asked to carry a bigger load every year, yet when we need something…..it isn’t there. That is not right.
My Grandaddy passed away in Feb. 2008, still waiting on the VA to kick in with the money he was suppose to recieve. His widow, who is completely unable to care for herself is STILL waiting on the VA; government efficiency as it finest.
Find a primary in your district. Get behind a person who believes that the government is there to protect your freedom rather than run your life, and WORK HARD to get that person elected. Send Washington the ONLY message they understand…….FIRE THEM.
April 1, 2009
I have been spending countless hours in conversations about politics and the direction our country is going in. One thing that seems to be continuing to pop up in these conversations is the questions “What can I do?” I have spent a lot of time thinking about this and have assembled 10 things you can do to help during this critical time in our country:
1. Trust the Almighty Creator who has endowed upon each man his/her inalienable rights
2. Spend time with your family. Take your kids out to the park. Buy your spouse some flowers. Just be with them. Enjoy them.
3. Get out of debt. I know this sounds weird but I think our government reflects its constituency by and large. Sometimes it does not feel that way but if you really examine the issues closely you will see it is true in many ways. That being said if we are to expect our Federal Government to stop deficit spending and to eliminate our National debt we must get our personal finances in line. Irresponsible consumer spending certainly contributed to the current mess we are in.
4. Read some good books. Expand your understanding of what our government is about. I suggest John Locke two treatises of government, Thomas Payne’s Common Sense, The US Constitution, Mark Levin’s Liberty and Tyranny, Orwell’s 1984 and Animal Farm (Orwell was a socialist), and Huxley’s Brave New World. This would be a good start.
5. Be courageous. If you feel that someone is trying to bully you stand up for your belief’s in a calm and intelligent way. Common sense goes a long way. Remember that the US Constitution has propelled America into the most powerful nation on earth in 200 short years.
6. Email/Write your state and federal representatives. http://www.votesmart.org is a great way to find out how to contact them and to even get information on how they have voted in the past.
7. Call your representatives. I think this is important for a couple of reasons, one being that it allows you to articulate what you think. This can be therapeutic. The other reason is that it helps you develop the ability to have conversations about politics.
8. After key votes are taken follow up with an email or phone call letting your representatives know how you feel about the way they voted. This immediate feedback lets your ELECTED official know that his/her constituents are in tune with what is going on.
9. Become a member of a conservative cause such as The Heritage Foundation, your local Tea Party, the912project.com, or even just visit some conservative blogs like Black and Right.
So there you are. 10 solid actions you can take during this time and for the rest of your life. I too feel frustrated and I have not been consistent with pursuing all 10 of these actions but I am trying harder now than ever. I suggest that if you are failing at items 1 and 2 you will have difficulty being effective with items 3-10. John Locke had a huge influence on our Constitution. If were to eliminate the idea of God and His relationship with man you might as well use all of Locke’s books as fire kindling. Please let me know what you think.